The Acton Market Reduce and Recycle hub has been running for one year on Saturday 7th October and we have a fantastic community day for our 1st birthday! Our hub will be at the Acton Saturday market with lots of great organisations and businesses to help people in Acton to reduce, reuse and recycle. The hub is supported by the Lottery Climate Acton Fund, where our project was awarded funding in round two to support UK communities to tackle climate change by reducing waste .
Acton Reduce and Recycle hub is here to help you take maybe your first steps of climate action by focusing on reducing waste, promoting reuse and supporting a circular economy, where things are reused again and again. Our aim for our monthly event is to help local residents Reduce, reuse and Recycle. The hub usually runs on the first Saturday of the month alongside Acton Saturday MarketW3. We want to encourage residents to think about what they consume and how they can reduce the waste it produces. Such as we can all use and wearing items for as longer by repairing them, reduce how much they waste by making easy swaps, reuse items more by passing them on to charities and when they no longer need them, recycle them. So at this months Reduce and Recycle hub you can:
Bring along your old and unloved:
- Clothing, Shoes, Small electrical appliances for donation to TRAID www.traid.org.uk
- Laptops for donation
- Pens and writing instruments
- Toothbrushes and other dental items
- Chat to ActforEaling about your Recycling on how to make easy swaps to reduce waste and recycle more.
- Learning to fix your Clothes with Ealing Repair Café www.ealingrepaircafe.org
- Get your Bikes checked with Dr Bike (2 pm-5 pm) with Ealing Council cycle maintenance.
- Book Swap – Bring a book and take a book, with Churchfield Community Association
- Shop at our pre-loved traders or with our stall holders many who sell returns and seconds from the high street at a reduced price with a great selection of sportswear, womenswear and menswear.
Plus Our We’re all in this together Community Event will have lots of family friendly activity to join in. With all our tasty local foodie stalls will be onsite for you to sample the delightful flavours of Ghana, Caribbean, India and Lebanon.
So, come along and grab a bargain, knowing you will be helping reducing waste as well as saving money.
For more information and links to our hub stall holders visit Reduce and Recycle hub.
Reduce and Recycle Hub successes
At the Reduce and Recycle hub we have so far:
- 298 kg of unwanted clothes and shoes saved from landfill by Traid, which reduced carbon emissions (CO2) by 2.83 tonnes and water savings of 450.7m3.
- 99 kgs of small electrical items collected which will be recycled.
If your organisation, community group or as a trader are interested in getting a stall or can volunteer to help run some of the activities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.